Time & Location
23 Mar 2020, 7:30 am
Parliament House, Parliament Dr, Canberra ACT 2600, Australia
About the event
On 23 March, Zali Steggall (the Independent Member for Warrignah) will introduce a private member’s Bill into the Australian Parliament that would require Australia to reach net zero emissions by 2050. The Bill would require setting:
· five-year national emissions budgets, with safeguards to ensure an achievable yet equitable reduction path through to the long-term target;
· five-year plans set in advance, to ensure that Australia meets it’s emissions budgets; and
· principles by which Australia would engage in international climate change negotiations.
On the 23 March XR and other organisations plan to be at Parliament House to demonstrate our support for the Bill and demand that the Government take decisive action on the climate emergency. More details to follow but we will start at 7.30 am with a 'welcome to pollies' as they come to work.
You can read more about the Bill here. In the lead up to the 23rd you can also voice your support for the Bill by:
· Signing the petition urging MPs to support the Bill
· Writing to or meeting with your local MP and/or leaders of the major political parties urging support for the Bill via a conscience vote
Extinction Rebellion's second demand calls for zero net emissions by 2025. We know that 2050 is too late! But XR ACT is supporting this Bill as an entry poiint to making change happen. Businesses and individuals are calling out for the Government to give them a clearer framework for reducing their emissions and this Bill will hopefully give them more confidence to act.