Extinction Rebellion ACT is part of an international movement that uses non-violent civil disobedience in an attempt to halt mass extinction and minimise the risk of social collapse. We are uniquely placed in Australia as we are located within Australia's federal capital.
Our federal government isn’t acting in accordance with what science and history tells us. Therefore our government is criminally negligent. We have a moral duty to rebel, whatever our politics. History shows us that peaceful civil disobedience is an effective way to bring about change.Our lives have meaning when we follow our conscience and fight to protect what we love. We ask others who feel the same way to join our peaceful Rebellion.
We need you – whoever you are, however much time you have – to help build a powerful movement. Our vision of change involves mass participation. Together we’re unstoppable. Important first steps in your journey to become a Rebel is to sign up and to attend the introductory talk: Heading for Extinction and what to do about it.
This rebellion is regenerative, arriving with armfuls of cake and olives, bread and oranges. It creates communities of belonging, with mentoring and eldership, where everyone’s contribution is welcome.
1. TELL THE TRUTH: Government must tell the truth by declaring a climate and ecological emergency, working with other institutions to communicate the urgency for change.
2. ACT NOW: Government must act now to halt biodiversity loss & reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025.
3. BEYOND POLITICS: Government must create and be led by the decisions of a Citizens' Assembly on climate and ecological justice.
Our Principles & Values
All who adhere to our principles & values are welcome
1. We have a shared vision of change
- Creating a world that is fit for generations to come.
2. We set our mission on what is necessary
- Mobilising 3.5% of the population to achieve system change.
3. We need a regenerative culture
- Creating a culture which is healthy, resilient and adaptable.
4. We openly challenge ourselves and our toxic system
- Leaving our comfort zones to take action for change.
5. We value reflecting and learning
- Following a cycle of actin, reflection, learning and planning for more action.
6. We welcome everyone and every part of everyone
- Working actively to create safter and more accessible spaces.
7. We actively mitigate for power
- Breaking down hierarchies of power for more equitable participation.
8. We avoid blaming and shaming
- We live in a toxic system, but no one individual is to blame.
9. We are a non-violent network
- Using non-violent strategy and tactics as the most effective way to bring about change.
10. We are based on autonomy and decentralisation
- We collectively create the structures we need to challenge power. Anyone who follows these core principles and values can take action in the name of Extinction Rebellion.
The Rebel Agreement
All Rebels are asked to follow our basic Agreements. They provide a basis for trust so that both Rebels and the public know what we can expect from each other.
1. We show respect to everyone - to each other, the general public and to the government and police.
2. We engage in no violence, physical or verbal, and carry no weapons.
3. We hold ourselves accountable for our actions and do not hide from the legal consequences.
4. We bring no alcohol or illegal drugs.
5. We take responsibility for ourselves; we are all crew.
We are here together until the Government acts on our three demands for necessary action on the climate and ecological emergency. This code aims to help us attract the many people we need to make this movement effective.
The Rebel Agreement is a precis of the Extinction Rebellion Action Consensus. Full text here.